One Sitecore Best Practices is on rendering and sublayouts is to make use of all the setting that are available to make Content Author lives more friendly, namely:
- Setting a thumbnail which is displayed when they select a component to add
- Restrict the datasource location to allow better grouping of content types and direct authors towards where datasources should be created to help keep everything organised
- Associate a template with the component so the correct datasource type is created
- Setting Compatible Renderings to allow authors to easily switch between renderings without causing errors
- Make use of Experience Editor/WebEdit Buttons to add custom funtionality
Did Vasiliy do a Friday Best Practice on this yet?